Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sydney's Hottest Day Ever


Today was the hottest day in Sydney ever. It broke the 1939 record and was 45.8 degrees Celcius. Tonight there are bushfires raging throughout the state. From my balcony I noticed a glowing horizon at 9.00pm well after sunset. I went down to the beach and saw a fire across the beach from Pittwater.

The news from RFS website said:

Major Fire Updates Watch and Act - Towlers Bay Fire (Pittwater LGA) 18/01/13 20:49 Posted: 18/01/2013 A fire is burning in the Ku-ring-gai National Park in the Pittwater area. Current Information Firefighters are working to contain the fire which is burning on West Head within the Ku-ring-gai National Park. Remote properties, accessible only by water, in areas including Lovett, Morning and Elvina Bays may experience smoke and embers. Crews are in place to protect properties in these areas. Full marks to those men and women volunteers fighting fires in this heat.

10 comments:

  1. Fires are devastating, and high temperatures don´t help to their extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is incredibly hot. Fire doesn't add to the issue either. Stay safe. And cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been reading about this in the news - what awful heat and devastation! I also hope you stay safe and cool (with many strong chilled drinks nearby).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following the news of fires in N.S.W. because my son and daughter live in south Sydney! This photo is breathtaking - as if the skies are alive with the sound of fire -(apologies to Sound of Music!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope they get the fire under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was astounded when I heard on the news last night that it had reached 45. That is a temperature I have never experienced. Here in the mountains it was in the mid 30s which seemed hot enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is terrible for you all. I hope things cool down soon and the fires cease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems quite close. That was quite an unbearably hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Southerly change hit about 9pm and has been cool ever since, phew!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Your feedback is welcome!